Flower beds can be found in different shapes and sizes and can be also made of different materials. When it comes to shapes, rectangular ones may be the easiest ones for building. But how about the round ones? Round flower beds can be tricky for building and today we want to give you some tips of how to make some for your yard.
- Start by choosing where you want your flower bed to be.
- Then, drive a long spike into the ground where you want the center of the circle to be.
- Measure a piece of string a foot longer than half the width. Cut it and tie one end loosely so that it can swivel freely around the spike about 6” above the ground.
- Stretch the string out and measure it from the center to the exact length of the radius you have decided.
- Then, hold the string taut and level with one hand and walk around the perimeter using the central point to guide you in a circular path.
- Remove the spike and string and with a sharp shovel remove sod from the interior of the circle.
- Turn over the new bed to loosen soil, rake smooth and plant. Place taller plants in center and step them down in size as you go out to the edge.
Find more tips on the next pages!