Garage door openers are motorized devices which aids in opening or closing garage doors. The electric garage door openers are generally controlled through the switches on the walls of the garage along with the remote controls which are carried by the owner. Looking at a brief history of these electric door openers, the first one was invented by in the year 1926 by C.G Johnson in Hartford city, Indiana.
It was only after World War II that the overhead garage door could be opened through the help of a keypad which was located either at the end of the driveway or inside the garage.
Types of Garage Doors Other Than Electric Garage Door Openers
Even though the electric garage door openers are quite popular in today’s world because of the sleek look it gives to any garage there are other type of garage door as well which you could consider buying!
- Chain drives garage door openers which contain a chain connecting the trolley to the motor.
- The belt drive garage door openers make use of a rubber belt instead of a chain.
- The third type includes the screw driver garage door opener which includes a long screw inside of a track.
- Direct drive garage door openers have motor installed inside a trolley which makes use of a gear wheel in order to guide the trolley.
- Jackshaft garage door openers mount on walls at either end of torsion bars.
Each of the garage doors have their own unique features making it easier to choose from depending on your aesthetic. Even though electric garage door openers are the most popular choice these days there are other ones too which you might just like!
- Chain Drive: A chain driven garage door opener has a metal chain which drives the trolley by elevating and lowering the door. Compared to all the other choices this one is the least expensive choice which also makes it quite popular among many homeowners who are looking for saving that extra amount of cash. However, one setback for these doors is the fact that it is quite noisy due to the movement of the chains.
- Belt Drive: A belt drive garage door opener uses a rubber belt in order to slide the trolley when the door gets activated or de-activated. When the trolley moves over rubber the motion is smoother and quieter. A door which running on belt drive will produce less amount of vibrations than compared to one which makes use of a chain to open and shut down. These are convenient due to the less amount of moving parts compared to a chain garage door opener.
- Screw driven garage door opener makes use of a threaded steel rod for the movement of trolley which opens and closes as the rod rotates. Similarly, to the belt drive a screw driver garage door too consists of fewer parts making it easier for maintenance in the long run. These too are as smooth as the belt drives and is way less noisy than the chain driven garage doors.
- Direct drive garage door openers: This is probably the least complicated out of all the garage doors mostly since the motor is the part which is responsible in moving the trolley. Since, there are no belts or chains the whole process of opening and closing the garage doors gets simplified. This whole endeavour calls for very little maintenance.
After reading the above given article you must have understood that there are so many types of garage doors available in the market, but you should choose electric garage door opener due to its easy maintenance and security features. If you are planning on getting your garage door installed, then your best bet is to call a professional and seek their help. Someone with experience will be able to handle the replacement or the installation process of the electric garage door opener quite easily.